hello//archives//goodbye

Thursday, March 10, 2016

a verse

Today, this deep longing washed over me, like it was a great wave and i was a sandcastle on the shore - grand, four towers on each corner, drawbridge and moat and all - but ultimately, utterly helpless. And like the ocean's love, it was infinite.

I craved a beautiful word, a beautiful turn-of-the-phrase - beautiful enough to make me close my eyes and recite it under my breath, over and over and over again. I craved seeing my heart on paper, reading my thoughts in black-and-white - feeling understood.

So i looked for a poem - short enough for me to read before i left for class and i came across one by Walt Whitman. And the last few lines hit me right where it hurts - what is the point of life?
     Answer
That you are here - that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.
O Me! O Life! Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something